Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sexual Offenders and Predators


I took my two grandchildren, ages 4 and  7, to the pediatrician  a couple of days ago for a check up. She asked them questions like: How much milk do you drink in a day? How often do you brush your teeth? Would you talk to a stranger? If a stranger came up to you and asked if you would like to come see their puppies would you go? Lots and lots of questions.

She then told them she needed to check their private parts meaning the front and back parts. She told them that their private parts were THEIR private parts, and no one was to see them unless their mom or grandmother were with them. She told them that even she couldn't look if I was not there.

Then she told me that we have an enormous amount of sexual offenders and predators in our area.

I have talked with the children forever about strangers. When we go to the toy store we have to take turns looking on different isles. We have to stay together.

My curiosity got the better of me today. I went to the  Florida Department of Law Enforcement Sexual Offenders and Predators website. I typed in my address and learned that I have 4 offenders within 1 mile of my house, 10 within 2 miles, 37 within 3 miles, 49 within 4 miles and 66 within 5 miles of my house. I understand that some of these could be people charged that were 18 years old with their 16 year old girlfriend, but 66 within 5 miles!?!?!? If I cut this in half it's still 33 predators within 5 miles of my house!

I have never let the children go out to play on the swing set without me being outside with them. I have run in to check laundry or get us a drink. I don't think I can do that anymore.

I would really like to hear your comments on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment